We’ve just completed the successful delivery of a 2-month VIRTUAL international internship “in” India and Vietnam, and we are currently working with university partners to develop virtual international study programs for 2021. Read more to find out how we redesigned and delivered the international internship program to ensure its success in the new virtual format.
Some Background on the Internship Program
One particular Terraffinity program, our longest running program, is a collaboration with the Ivey School of Business at Western University. Together we’ve developed a 2-month international internship experience (called Ivey Global Laboratory – IGL), which has become a capstone of Ivey’s MSc in International Business Program. In previous years, 70 students traveled to India, Vietnam and Peru to experience the local business and cultural environments while working at local firms for 2 months.
Because the internship is a capstone for Ivey, the school did not want to cancel or postpone the internship in 2020, so we needed to make it happen, even at the onset of a global pandemic.
How we Shifted to a VIRTUAL Internship
- Developed and delivered training for students on how to work in global virtual teams
Redefined the scope of the internship projects to be suitable for a virtual format
Focused on just 2 countries (India and Vietnam) instead of 3 to enable tighter coordination and logistics with the local companies
- Provided virtual cultural immersions – facilitated by our local partners – like a Bollywood dancing class, and a Yoga class
- Introduced weekly coaching sessions to increase support during this ambiguous time
- Hosted a weekly speaker series of 6 global business leaders to give the group a perspective on COVID’s impact on businesses around the world
- Encouraged the use of online tools to facilitate collaboration, project management, and time tracking
The companies in India and Vietnam, even while dealing with their own challenges amid the pandemic, were engaged with the student teams and happy with the project outcomes.
As always, please feel free to contact us – We are available to answer any questions or concerns you may have.